Swiss Chard

Even though October is right upon us, we are still growing our garden strong outside. The advantage of our contianers will be when the weather gets too cold and we would loose our remaining harvest, we can simply bring the whole darn thing inside. We're hoping we'll have enough nice days left to get much of our veggies ripened outdoors however.


Last week, I picked the first bundle of swiss chard from our plot. We needed an additional vegetable for our dinner (there was only one serving of beans left) and I was yearning to nibble on our tender-shooted greens. Because we grew them in a planter, they never got big and woody like the chard I was used to as a child in late season. Instead, every shoot was tender and young tasting. I steamed them and topped with butter and salt. (that's really all they ever need) Very delicious. I hope we can move this plant indoors and continue to grow it into the winter a bit.

0 comments: